grub-devel

Re: Sendkey patch

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Sendkey patch
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:29:34 +0300

phcoder wrote:
> Well the interface is as we described: the module gives a callback
> function which will be called before launching boot function. This
> interface is enough for both (and probaly many other) needs. The only
> problem is that callback functions can conflict with each other and with
> boot function. E.g. if callback sets an INT13h hook and then boot
> function reads harddrive then it could get wrong data. In my opinion the
> ese callback and boot functions shouldn't use device access at all. This
> is especially true because theese functions are after grub_machine_fini.

That is more like a textual description of the issues not an interface
description. It has to be more concrete than that. And mechanism should
support hook installation. And I do not see reason why that same thing
cannot support also this send key stuff.

>> This way it would be also easier to incorporate patches as there is
>> already skeleton that can be used easily.
>>
> There could several templates for using such feature because it's quite
> universal

I am not really delighted about that... Just one or two connection
points and that should be able to handle those cases. If not then we
have something wrong somewhere...