grub-devel

Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings m

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: [RFC] make output of compiling a bit less verbose to make warnings more visible
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:30:27 +0200

El mar, 02-09-2008 a las 18:43 +0200, Felix Zielcke escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I think it would be good if the output from compiling wouldn't be that
> verbose.
> Just like on compiling the Linux kernel.
> It shows only something like:
>
> CC source.c
> LD built-in.o
> VDSO-SYM? bla
>
> instead of that whole `gcc -D GRUB_UTIL -o xx x.c ...' thing.
>
> I haven't bothered to check yet how complicated it would be to implement
> this but I think it would be better to ask first if you even like this
> idea :)

This was discussed earlier; some people argued about warnings and such,
and the OP said this would make warnings stand out _more_, not less.
After some more posts that I don't really remember the discussion died.
the link to the full thread is at [0].

I tried to implement the proposal myself, but modifying the Ruby file
that creates the *.mk files from the *.rmk files proved to be a royal
PITA. I recall I proposed a switch over to a more common tool as Python
and... western-rolling-ball-crossing-the-street. Feel free to try!

-Habbit

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-06/msg00248.html