grub-devel

Re: [RFC] DISTLIST and gendistlist.sh

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] DISTLIST and gendistlist.sh
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:11:21 -0400

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 11:28 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 29.08.2008, 19:03 -0400 schrieb Pavel Roskin:
>
> > Maybe we could take an approach based on the version control system?
> > The distributed files are those under version control plus generated
> > distributed files (if any) minus maintainer-only files.  The file lists
> > for inclusion and exclusion would be short and would rarely need to be
> > updated.
>
> Oh good suggestion, I didn't see that `svn' even has an `ls' command
> which lists all files which are under it's control and not ignored.
>
> $ ./gendistlist.sh | sort > DISTLIST
> $ svn ls -R | sort > DISTLIST2
> $ diff -u DISTLIST DISTLIST2|less
>
> The only difference between these 2 files are, that `svn ls' adds the
> directorys too
> for example:
>
> +boot/
> +boot/i386/
> +boot/i386/pc/
>  boot/i386/pc/boot.S
>  boot/i386/pc/cdboot.S
>
> This shouldn't hurt, but with some sed playing probable we could get rid
> of it, I'm just not that sed expert :)

svn ls -R | sed '/\/$/d' | sort > DISTLIST2

> This seems to be the best then nobody needs to remember to
> update ./gendistlist.sh and current DISTLIST seems again already a bit
> out of date ;)

I checked the 1.96 release.  There were no additional files in DISTLIST
that are not in Subversion.  Some files are missing in DISTLIST, but it
seems to me that most are missing by accident, except .cvsignore
(shouldn't be an issue since we don't have it in Subversion) and
util/genmoddep.c, which should have been removed, according to ChangeLog
(I'm going to remove it now).

Thus, we don't need any lists for included or excluded files.  Things
will change if we stop keeping dependent files in Subversion.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin