grub-devel

Re: [Question] multi-CDROM Devices

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [Question] multi-CDROM Devices
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:45:13 -0400

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 09:40 +0800, y.volta wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     i tried the latest grub2 on my virtual machine with two CD-ROMs.
> but, i can access only one of them. I read the biosdisk.c, here is
> a "static int cd_drive = 0;"
>
>     so i think, we can modify it to support more than one CD-ROM, itn't it?

I believe BIOS would only work with the CD-ROM it's booting from.
cd_drive is actually populated with the value provided by BIOS.  There
is no generic CD-ROM access in BIOS.  You'll need direct ATAPI access
for other CD-ROMs.  In other words, use the "ata" module:

insmod ata

The downside that it will turn off all BIOS access, so e.g. floppies
will be inaccessible.  You may need to adjust "root" and "prefix"
variables to point to the ata devices.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin