grub-devel

Dell Media Direct button

From: Per Öberg
Subject: Dell Media Direct button
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:57:22 +0200

Hi

Some laptops, e.g., from Dell have a special button that they use to
boot a special embedded OS for media only instead of the ordinary OS.

For my Dell XPS1330M I can determine if the Media button was pressed by
first writing 0xf9 to port 0x70 and then testing bit 0x08 of port 0x71.

It would be really nice if such a test could be enabled in grub so that
grub can go directly to a specific menu alternative without showing the
gui if the media button was pressed.

Is this interesting? I'd like to contribute but I don't know where to start.

Regards Per Öberg

--
Per Öberg, Ph.D. Student
Address: Division of Vehicular Systems