grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Platform information services

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: [RFC] Platform information services
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:35:29 +0300

Javier Martín wrote:
>> I still do not see the need to create cross platform function that
>> cannot be used for cross platform purposes. It is much more reasonable
>> to write such needs as in kernel for the platform or in platform
>> specific modules.
>>
>> I do not have a problem with function to retrieve pointer to some
>> platform specific function on platfrom specific code. That is normal
>> life of the platform.
> Well, think of this as a platform-specific function to retrieve the
> address of platform-specific (firmware-provided) structures. The only
> difference is that in my proposal such a function has the same signature
> (prototype) for every platform.

Well... THEN WHY NOT MAKE A PLATFORM SPECIFIC FUCTION THAT IS CONVENIENT
TO USE ON PLATFORM WHERE IT IS MEANT TO BE USED FOR AND IT ACTUALLY HAVE
A MEANING ON WHERE IT IS ACCESSIBLE.

If you want to learn something, study interfaces of disk->biosdisk->bios
and video->vbe->video bios... There are also several other good spots on
GRUB 2 code base that you could see...

You have still not provided a single GOOD example where this would be
used AND would provide some ADDED VALUE. Unless you provide a convincing
one (while I pretty much doubt) I do not see this feature to be in our
official tree.