grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Platform information services

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: [RFC] Platform information services
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:09:01 +0300

Javier Martín wrote:
> Hi there everybody,
>
> I'm opening the RFC because I want to add some kind of infrastructure to
> retrieve the address of system/platform structures. I will explain
> myself: my use case is in i386-pc and for the drivemap module, in which
> a function installs a TSR int13h handler. This requires the function to
> have access to two real mode structures, namely the BIOS Data Area,
> which is based at 0040:0000h; and the Interrupt Vector Table, which
> conventionally starts at 0 but that could have been placed elsewhere by
> the use of the LIDT instruction.

But it is designed to use linear address space for memory so no need to
worry about it. I do not see any reason why there would be paging or
non-linear memory mapping in GRUB 2 (i386-pcbios).

Or did I miss something?

So basically I do not see need for such services. As this does not even
need to be platform independent.

If you need to alter IVT you can modify it on the fly. Though you have
to remember where to use only LOW mem addresses in there.