grub-devel

Windows boot

From: Viswesh S
Subject: Windows boot
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 07:30:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I installed ubuntu in the same harddisk(hda) as windows.

After installing ubuntu, using grub legacy, I was able to log in to windows, using the entries, rootnoverify and chainloader +1.

But when I install grub2 and then modify the grub.cfg with the following, statements, it is not working, says ...A disk read error occurred ,Press Ctrl+Alt+Del .

This is my grub.cfg

menuentry "Windows" {
    set root=(hd0,3)
    chainloader +1

}

My windows file sytem is in NTFS and not vfat

One more thing to check with is, the need of ntfs mod present as part of grub2.So where exactly that is getting used,though I have tried to load the module ntfs and ntfscomp in grub using insmod in grub menu,...but no positive results.

What might be in grub2, which prevents windows to boot.

Viswesh