grub-devel

Re: RFC: conf/i386.rmk

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: RFC: conf/i386.rmk
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 00:59:01 -0400

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 21:30 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:28:39PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm thinking that we have quite a bit of duplicate stuff in each of the 4
> > i386 ports (cpuid, pci, serial, etc) that could well live in a
> > firmware-agnostic conf/i386.rmk file.
> >
> > This would simplify things and make them easier to maintain.  What do you
> > think?
>
> Btw, I think grub-emu could go there too.  The only arch-specific thing in
> it AFAICS is cpuid.mod.

I tried moving more stuff to common.rmk many times but gave up every
time.  One of the reasons is that the sparc64 support is very
out-of-date and doesn't use common.rmk at all.  I cannot even test it
(well, I haven't tries hard).

Limiting the scope to i386 could help, but I think there is very little
code specific to all i386 platforms but not to other architectures.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin