grub-devel

two bugs in configfile parser

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: two bugs in configfile parser
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 01:44:53 +0200

Hi,

given the following grub.cfg (simplified test case):

menuentry "test" {
if test "a" = "a" ; then
  echo foo
fi
}

I have some issues. To reproduce, load grub with that file, enter the editor on the menu item, run it with ctrl-x. Two things can happen (I have some local patches which lead to one happening slightly more often than the other, so it seems to be quite sensitive to $whatever):

1. it crashes on malloc magic problems. It seems to be related to the leading spaces on "echo foo". If I remove them, it works. I guess, they're skipped at some place, and after that, the string should be grub_free()d. grub's mm doesn't support that.

2. it corrupts the text once it finishes. After removing the leading spaces, it runs correctly and returns to the editor. Unfortunately, starting with " echo foo", the text is corrupted. Another run (with all those garbage strings) ends in malloc magic error.

That code runs fine if executed directly from the menu.

Regards,
Patrick Georgi