grub-devel

Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?

From: Aniruddha
Subject: Re: Is it possble to use /dev/disk/by-id/ in grub.conf?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:36:55 +0200

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 20:25 +0200, Javier Martín wrote:

> Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about GRUB Legacy (this
> list is mostly about the development of GRUB 2). I think you are
> missing some "initrd" (GRUB2) or "module" (GRUB1?) line after the
> "linux" (GRUB2) or "kernel" (GRUB1) line - and the genkernel line
> should not be in the GRUB config files at all. The exact boot
> parameters and configuration should be in the Gentoo documentation: if
> I remember my Gentoo times correctly, the Handbook should have all the
> info you need. If you mail me a link to the post related to this issue
> in the Gentoo forums, I can answer you better than in this list.

I didn't realize I was running legacy grub :0. I looked in the Gentoo
handbook but I didn't find anything useful:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap2

Here's the thread in the Gentoo forums with my current problem:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5167749.html#5167749

And here's a thread with some additional information:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-701101-highlight-.html

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Aniruddha