grub-devel

Re: grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub-probe fails to find PC partition due to Apple disklabel
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:53:45 +0200

Am Freitag, den 25.07.2008, 19:09 -0400 schrieb Chris Knadle:

>    Just tested -- nope, grub-probe still can't find the device.

> So this:
>
>    kern/partition.c:106: Detecting apple_partition_map...
>    kern/disk.c:368: Reading `hd0'...
>    partmap/apple.c:129: bad magic (found 0xfc31; wanted 0x4552
>    kern/partition.c:112: apple_partition_map detection failed.
>
> means that this patch is trying to match the HFS magic number on the first
> sector of the drive, when that doesn't have a filesystem magic number at
> all.

kern/partition.c:117: pc_partition_map detection succeeded.

Just after the snippet you wrote.
So I think it should work.
Maybe you didn't test this right?
Wipe a disk, then make an apple partition, and then make msdos
partitions and make a filesystem on it.
Just like it probable was as you reported the bug initially.

Btw. I just read the whole story again and I was wrong saying that
grub-legacy won't have a fix for this.
grub-legacy now uses grub-probe so if grub-probe works then both are
fixed for you.