grub-devel

Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading

From: Andy Kittner
Subject: Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:09:45 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:50:21AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
Quoting Andy Kittner <address@hidden>:

Everything went smooth, however after rebooting I get dropped in rescue
mode with this message: "unknown device fd1,5"

Please check your /boot/grub/device.map. You may need to remove it and let grub-install regenerate it. It would be great if you post it here, before and after it's regenerated.

I already did an rm -rf /boot/grub before installing grub2 so so the old cruft wouldn't get in the way. I'll include the corresponding generated device.map after running grub-install:

---- grub legacy ----
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
---------------------

---- grub 2 ---------
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
---------------------

Which looks all fine for me (even better than grub-legacy where I always removed the spurious fd0)

I've seen that fd1 somewhere, but I don't remember where. I guess GRUB just defaults to that value if it cannot figure out the real device number of the root device.

If you check the archives, you'll see that your message is greatly timed :-)

Yeah, I've seen that support for this is pretty fresh, but I thought I'd give it a try ;-)

Now for my second problem:
If I try to chainload grub legacy on another partition it just hangs
after printing "GRUB ". The command I used to do this was:
   chainloader (hd0,5)+1

Maybe the installation is broken?
To make sure I reinstalled grub in that partition
   chainloader (hd0,5)+1

still didn't work, but:

  set root=(hd0,5)
  chainloader +1

this did. As thats basically what I did with the old grub too, I guess this one was my fault for not setting root correctly before firing the chainloader.

Thanks for the help
Andy