grub-devel

Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:50:21 -0400

Quoting Andy Kittner <address@hidden>:

Everything went smooth, however after rebooting I get dropped in rescue
mode with this message: "unknown device fd1,5"

Please check your /boot/grub/device.map. You may need to remove it and let grub-install regenerate it. It would be great if you post it here, before and after it's regenerated.

I've seen that fd1 somewhere, but I don't remember where. I guess GRUB just defaults to that value if it cannot figure out the real device number of the root device.

If you check the archives, you'll see that your message is greatly timed :-)

I wish we could ditch device.map completely. However, I'll try to find a less radical solution for your problem. Whether it works or not, it will give us insight into the real live failures of cross-drive installs.

Now for my second problem:
If I try to chainload grub legacy on another partition it just hangs
after printing "GRUB ". The command I used to do this was:
   chainloader (hd0,5)+1

Maybe the installation is broken?

Chainloading my windows partition using:
   chainloader (hd0,1)+1
has a similar result, namely a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

There is still a chance that something is broken on those partitions, but please try reinstalling grub with the new device.map.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin