grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:45:21 -0400

Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
Hello,

On Jul/19/2008, Isaac Dupree wrote:
Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
fast check in KDE: it's looping

Also, Iceweasel menus are looping here (maybe because it's executed
in KDE and there is some GTK Widget with a different behaviour? I have
no idea)
GTK menubar-menus are looping for me. But I'm not sure about menus that consist of selecting from a list in a box (maybe some login window?). I don't care personally, because my GRUB-lists are not terribly long... hmm, if you hold down a (arrow) key in GRUB, is there auto-repeat?

no, there isn't auto-repeat (this is what the patch that we are talking
does).

GRUB-lists shouldn't be terrible long, but quite users needs to go from
the first option to the last option quite often (at least is what i
see).

is this because tools tend to add options to the *end* of the list -- the same way my browser adds bookmarks to the end of the bookmarks menu? That's the situation I find myself really using looping regularly in my OS (Firefox, Linux).

It might be worth the effort to add a config option, if there are people who have to deal with their boot-menu on a regular basis (are there? probably...). Then if they're like me, they'll want to be able to fix its annoying behavior for the future. So it's worth it for them; and if there are a significant number of people like that, the one-time cost of *implementing* the option may be worth it.

-Isaac