grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:12:43 +0200

Hi,

On Jul/19/2008, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 07:21:34PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if this is intentional.  Size is not important in this
> > > part of the code, but in other UI menus (e.g. Iceweasel or GNOME) I
> >
> > fast check in KDE: it's looping
> >
> > Also, Iceweasel menus are looping here (maybe because it's executed
> > in KDE and there is some GTK Widget with a different behaviour? I have
> > no idea)
>
> I think it depends on the type of menu.  Iceweasel's stored password list
> doesn't loop, but pull-down menus do.  I'm not sure if there's a rationale
> for this..

I have searched but I haven't found any UI guidelines talking about it.
And as you said, it depends of the kind of the menu (menu like menu or
stored password list).

I will keep searching/asking but I'm not sure if I will find something
conclusive.

> > > notice this is not done.  It could also be a nuissance for users who
> > > want to go rapidly to the top or bottom (sure, they can use PgUp/PgDn,
> > > but then aren't we making the behaviour of those keys inconsistent
> > > with arrows?).
> >
> > I would be glad to add some functionality for PgUp/PgDown and also for
> > Home/End keys (I would do it today evening or tomorrow and send the
> > patch).
>
> Actually, I just noticed we don't handle any of these.  Don't worry about
> that.

I've just had some minutes and I wanted to play with this (only Home and
End keys). I attach the patch, nothing important but fun.

If PgUp/PgDown is also wanted I will play with it (or somebody else).

(I agree that, nowadays and in laptops, Home and End keys are in some
unexpected places :-( )

Also, I would change the line 400 aprox. in file normal/menu.c:

            case 14:
by:
            case GRUB_TERM_DOWN:
And case 16 by GRUB_TERM_UP

This is defined in include/grub/term.h

(I don't send a patch because is easy-easy and it's in the same zone
than previous patch)

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
        http://pinux.info       Manresa - Barcelona