grub-devel

Re: Still unable to install grub 2 on my lvm setup

From: Michael Guntsche
Subject: Re: Still unable to install grub 2 on my lvm setup
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 07:56:02 +0200

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 07:18:59 +0200, Jean-Christophe Haessig
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Er... There are no partitions on my disks. I create them like this :
>
> pvcreate /dev/hda
>
> Since the whole disk is used for LVM and LVM is some kind of
> partitioning scheme, I didn't find useful to make one big partition on
> each disk.

Initially I had a similar setup on one of my older machines. If the whole
disk is used as a PV there is no place for GRUB at all to embed the
core.img. If you really want to boot this system you could use a floppy or
USB stick to do that. Back then I created one big partition on each PV-disk
to solve this.

Kind regards,
Michael