grub-devel

Re: "GRUB Loading kernel..." message

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: "GRUB Loading kernel..." message
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 17:59:55 -0400

Robert Millan wrote:
On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 07:24:56PM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
I thought I remembered somewhere a discussion how the message
"GRUB Loading kernel"
is confusing, because it doesn't say what kernel it's loading, and grub loads lots of kernels

I think this is not accurate.  GRUB loads payloads.  It doesn't care if they're
a standalone OS like invaders.elf or the kernel part of an OS that resides on
disk/network/whatever.

okay, I'm getting pedantic, but that is very much from GRUB point-of-view; GRUB certainly does load payloads, but from non-GRUB point-of-view, those payloads are often also OS kernels. So if you know GRUB terminology, GRUB would never say it was loading a kernel when it was loading a payload, because it neither knows nor cares whether anyone else would call that payload a "kernel". Rather convincing. Although, it would still be as accurate for a user to say that "GRUB is loading linux kernel" as it would be, if I'm blindly eating food, for someone to say I'm eating a banana. But I don't care so much about philosophy, just that "GRUB Loading kernel" confuses lots of people and it seems we've found a just-as-good wording that doesn't :-)

Anyway, any change of the message vs. GRUB Legacy means that we can tell from the message whether it's GRUB1 or GRUB2 :-D

should I send a patch to change the message from "Loading kernel" to "Loading"?

-Isaac