grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:25:45 -0400

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 18:08 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> > We must not quit if the journal flag is set, even if we don't handle
> > it. grub-setup runs in a active system, the journal wouldn't be empty.
> > If we just quit, we can't even install.
>
> I think we should be more conservative here, and only reject a filesystem
> when we know _for sure_ that GRUB won't be able to access it.  Otherwise
> we may be disabling filesystems that are probably fine.

I agree.  Rules for read-only access should be more permissive than
those for read-write access.  Rules for bootloader read-only access
should be relaxed even more.

For example, we don't really care about permissions and timestamps.  It
would be nice to get them right, but failure to boot because of a
nanosecond timestamp would be too much.  Likewise, we don't care if some
files are compressed or use a file size representation we don't support
and long as the files we need don't use it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin