grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:46:18 +0200

El dom, 29-06-2008 a las 20:11 +0200, Felix Zielcke escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I reported this already on Debian as #488235
>
> grub-probe -t fs shows ext2 for a filesystem created with e2fsprogs 1.41WIP
> from Debian experimental
> with extent and flex_bg
> I didn't get grub-probe working with the loopback device even though I added
> it to device.map it still complained.
> The attached image is a 10 mb ext4 made with mkfs.ext4 without any special
> options just the extent and flex_bg features enabled by mke2fs.conf
> If I make that on a 100 MB Disk in VMware grub-probe -t fs shows ext2 so I
> think it shouldn't be different on that 10 MB file

ext4 on-disk format is very similar to ext2, but backwards compatibility
is broken by the extents option (and iIrc, a modification in the inode
format?). Thus, we need to patch our ext2/3 drivers so that they reject
mounting a filesystem with the "extents" feature bit set, as a temporary
solution. Then, we can develop an ext4 driver that understands the new
format.