grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:54:27 -0400

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 23:02 +0800, Bean wrote:

> I'm not against other compression algorithm, but lzma seems to be the
> best, for example, for the previous c2.img:
>
> bzip2 c2.img && du -b c2.img.bz2
> 29247   c2.img.bz2
>
> gzip c2.img && du -b c2.img.gz
> 29825   c2.img.gz

We need numbers for all compression algorithms for the code that would
actually be compressed, not the whole image, which includes the
multiboot header, the lzo uncompression implementation and some other
functions.

Anyway, it looks like gzip is doing a good job.  By the way, gzip
uncompression is used in Linux kernel on i386.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin