grub-devel

Re: Can we get video card information in EFI environment ?

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Can we get video card information in EFI environment ?
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:51:01 +0300

Bean wrote:
I think the vbe driver need to call bios, is there a way to do it directly ?

Yes, it uses BIOS to determine frame buffer address and setup video mode.

EFI have uga draw protocol that can do bitblt, but they don't have a
method to query low level information like frame buffer address and
line length easily.

In EFI you should use this protocol to do drawing to screen. And you do not basicly need that low level information (in GRUB 2).