grub-devel

Re: Can we get video card information in EFI environment ?

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Can we get video card information in EFI environment ?
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:17:29 +0300

Bean wrote:
BTW, you need to remove the udev start script from /etc/rcS.d,
otherwise the screen would scramble again. I believe the cause is
agppart. Fame buffer of EFI is a little strange, the line length is
not equal to width * 4, for example, my macbook:

width: 1280
depth: 32
line length: 8192

This is quite normal and can change from card to card. So thats the reason you ask for line length from VBE/HW.

So there is some invisible space after the screen boundary. But in
bios emulation mode, the length is exactly width * 4. I think the
driver should take this into account, or reconfigure the video
hardware to use the new line length. (Anyone know how to do it ?)

GRUB 2 VBE driver already should work nicely with this (assuming VBE is available). If you are planning to do EFI driver then you just use its API to do blitting. Writing driver for EFI should be rather easy if I remember correctly its interface. Can't write that driver myself unless someone wants to provide me environment to do the coding.