grub-devel

Grub-2 Multiboot

From: Christian Schaubschlaeger
Subject: Grub-2 Multiboot
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:31:02 +0200

Good morning,

I'm using grub-1.96. Today I tried to boot grub with grub itself
using the multiboot mechanism. For that I made this entry in
grub.cfg:

menuentry "GRUB"
{
        multiboot (hd0,1)/boot/kernel.exec
}

where kernel.exec is the grub-2 binary (including the multiboot header)
which can be found in the grub-2 source directory after building grub.

Now when I try to boot this, I get the following error message:

error: segment doesn't fit in memory reserved for the OS (0x8200 < 0x100000)

In kern/i386/pc/startup.S the multiboot header is defined, along with this
comment:

/*
 * Support for booting GRUB from a Multiboot boot loader (e.g. GRUB itself).
 * This uses the a.out kludge to load raw binary to the area starting at 1MB,
 * and relocates itself after loaded.
 */

which made me think that it should be possible to boot grub with grub.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Christian