grub-devel

Re: Installing GRUB 2 on a CompactFlash card

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Installing GRUB 2 on a CompactFlash card
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 02:11:01 -0400

Quoting Colin D Bennett <address@hidden>:

If I create one partition on the CF card, for GRUB, I assume I should
set up my grub.cfg to refer to it as (hd0,1) since this will only be
used on the TARGET SYSTEM, right?

I suggest that you use the current GRUB from CVS and use UUID to refer to any drives. update-grub will generate the new style grub.cfg, but be sure to back up your current grub.cfg in case it gets overwritten.

Then on my development workstation I will do:
   grub-install /dev/sdc

But will this affect my development workstation's "/boot" ?

I don't think current GRUB will allow you to do that, but if cross-device installs were supported, it would indeed overwrite /boot/grub

I want to
install only to my CompactFlash card; is this possible without messing
with my dev machine's filesystem?

Yes, I did it several times.

If I have /dev/sdc1 (the CF card's partition) mounted
at /media/grubtest, can I just do
   grub-install --root-directory=/media/grubtest /dev/sdc

Yes, that should work.

In case you are not sure if the system boot was affected, I suggest that you reinstall grub on your hard drive the way it was installed before attempting a reboot. Also make the rescue image with grub-mkrescue, write it to a CD and keep it handy in case you need to recover anything.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin