grub-devel

Re: Searching UUID on floppies

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Searching UUID on floppies
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:19:27 -0400

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 11:53 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Some of our commands use --no-floppy.  Also supported in GRUB Legacy (by
> 'find'
> or so, can't remember).  Perhaps it's better to use that for consistency?  It
> is the floppy scan which everyone hates; for other devices I don't think
> people will mind if GRUB spends a few ms on them.

Sure, --no-floppy would be consistent with the installers, but it will
take some effort to get right.  Let's not forget CD floppy emulation, by
the way.  You wrote that sometimes a hard drive can be reported as a
floppy.  Perhaps we still want to search floppies as the last resort.

Besides, I'd prefer to avoid floppy search is all "search" commands.  I
have a custom rule to boot another distro, and it uses "search" by
label.  I don't want to add --no-floppy to that command because it's an
extra effort.  It's not hard for GRUB to do things nicely without having
users edit their custom rules.

That's why I would prefer optimized search order.  But I'm not strongly
opposing --no-floppy as long as it's done right.

We could also start search with the current drive and then go through
the list of other drives, without changing anything else in the order.
Most installations will rely on one disk.  Spinning up more devices
unnecessarily is not nice.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin