grub-devel

Re: macbook EFI experiences

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: macbook EFI experiences
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 21:26:40 +0200

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 02:57:21PM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:

> >You're confusing BIOS-based boot with msdos partition labels.  You can use
> >GPT just fine when booting from BIOS (although Intel tries to hide that
> >fact by embedding the GPT spec inside the EFI spec).
>
> I have the hack which combines the two partition labels so I have both
> GPT and msdos labels.  Which means that my first four partitions (only)
> are listed in msdos, and GPT is the really accurate one that MacOS and
> Linux use.

I'm not sure if this would confuse GRUB partition-wise.  Can it access all
partitions?

> However, I can't find a way to get into bootloader-land via
> BIOS without going through the msdos partitioning mechanism.

grub-setup may, too, be confused by this hack.  Saving that, you should be
able to install GRUB in MBR following the normal procedure, without any
need for msdos-style partition table (other than the dummy 0xee one).

Would be nice if you can verify GRUB works in both situations.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)