grub-devel

Re: LUKS Cryptography Support

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: LUKS Cryptography Support
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:58:20 +0300

Michael Gorven wrote:
On Wednesday 28 May 2008 18:26:09 Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
Michael Gorven wrote:
Numerous ciphers and hashes from libgcrypt: Copyright FSF and LGPL 2.1
AES cipher from Simon's patch: LGPL 2.1
If we are to go with libgcrypt way... why you are not using AES from
there? (or is it not available for some reason?)

Because Simon had an AES implementation in his patch already. I can replace it with libgcrypt's implementation if necessary.

My point being that, if we have minimal set of dependencies to elsewhere it is easier to upgrade code to newer version if there is a need to. Also now you only have to monitor one software source for changes. Using more common implementation also benefits for some extra eyes looking at the code.

I know that ppl here prefer to write code from scratch, but perhaps in this case it would be good idea to use another GNU project for additional code. Security is not the easiest topic in there to write properly.