grub-devel

Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?

From: Bean
Subject: Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 00:29:52 +0800

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Isaac Dupree
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Bean wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just wonder if anybody is working on x86_64 EFI support ? If none,
>> I'd like to add it soon, as it's essential for grub2 to work with
>> Apple's 64-bit Intel Mac.
>
> not me, but I'll help you test it, as I have one of those machines
> (currently I'm using a nearly-a-year-old CVS version of grub2 in Apple's
> emulated BIOS mode, rather than using the EFI support which didn't work for
> me at the time).
> Is it essential -- or does building an x86 EFI binary work just as well?
> (oh, since I'm running a 32-bit Linux on my 64-bit machine right now, I'm
> not sure if I'll actually be a useful tester?)

I have tried the old ia32 image created by grub-mkimage, it doesn't
work, neither does the old refit (<0.10). New refit create fat image
containing both ia32 and x86_64, it works, but don't know how
compatible it is in non Apple firmware. I also write a pure x86_64
sample, it works as well.

>> BTW, I notice that grub-mkimage for efi convert elf to efi internally,
>> how about use the gnu-efi tool chain, this could make it more portable
>> between ia32 and x86_64.
>
> Is its license sufficiently compatible?  Is it maintained sufficiently (or
> else, can we take on some of the maintainership burden?)

I'm no expert on license, but it's a shared library, we only need to
use its interface, I guess this should be ok.

--
Bean