grub-devel

Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:48:54 -0400

Bean wrote:
Hi,

I just wonder if anybody is working on x86_64 EFI support ? If none,
I'd like to add it soon, as it's essential for grub2 to work with
Apple's 64-bit Intel Mac.

not me, but I'll help you test it, as I have one of those machines (currently I'm using a nearly-a-year-old CVS version of grub2 in Apple's emulated BIOS mode, rather than using the EFI support which didn't work for me at the time).
Is it essential -- or does building an x86 EFI binary work just as well?
(oh, since I'm running a 32-bit Linux on my 64-bit machine right now, I'm not sure if I'll actually be a useful tester?)

BTW, I notice that grub-mkimage for efi convert elf to efi internally,
how about use the gnu-efi tool chain, this could make it more portable
between ia32 and x86_64.

Is its license sufficiently compatible? Is it maintained sufficiently (or else, can we take on some of the maintainership burden?)

-Isaac