grub-devel

Re: Higher resolution timers

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Higher resolution timers
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:55:21 +0200

Colin D Bennett <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:33:54 -0700
> Colin D Bennett <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think that using the TSC (w/ RDTSC instruction) and calibrating it
>> with a quick 2-3 RTC tick loop at startup might be the easiest option.
>
> Just wondered if something like this would be a practical way to go:

Well, I only had a quick look and this might be a good way to measure
the clock speed.  BTW, can you please make sure you use our coding
style?  Are the 2-3 loops based on some calculations or only a guess?

There might be a problem with using this instruction.  Are clock
cycles actually measured after using the "halt" instruction?  If not,
the use of such instruction might not generally used in GRUB :-/

--
Marco