grub-devel

Re: ext4 support in grub2

From: Niraj kumar
Subject: Re: ext4 support in grub2
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:12:47 +0530

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Chris Knadle <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Niraj kumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wanted to know if anybody is working on supporting ext4 or
>> are there any patches already?
>
>   Last I had heard, ext4 was supposed to be backwardly compatible with ext3,
> at least in _most_ respects (even if boot loader support is not one of them).

Well...I guess that's true if you are not using extents. Once you
start using extents
(by using -o extents option in mount), the disk layout of filesystem becomes
incompatible.

> If you've verified that booting to ext4 directly does not work, then
> obviously the next backup option is to use a /boot partition using another
> filesystem that grub2 does support, at least until grub2 has ext4 support.

Oh ...yeah. I have solved my personal problem by using another
filesystem for /boot.

But, I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty with grub2 code and try to add ext4
support, unless somebody else is already working on it.

-Niraj