grub-devel

Re: retiring device.map

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: retiring device.map
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 14:51:44 +0200

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:39:47AM +0800, Bean wrote:

> Yes, UUID can be useful, it's better to add it to grub2.
>
> UUID itself is quite easy to get, but the question is how to integrate
> it with the existing disk layer. I'm thinking of the following three
> implementation:
>
> 1, Add a function pointer to fs structure to retrieve UUID, just like label.
> 2. Add a data pointer to the disk structure, the fs driver allocated
> memory when it found UUID.
> 3. Use a separate module to handle UUID. fs driver that found UUID can
> add disk to uuid mapping using exported service.
>
> Would someone comment on the ideas ?

I'm not completely filled on the basics of UUID.  The location of this
information is defined by the filesystem implementation, right?

In that case, I'd suggest a function to fetch it from grub_fs rather than
a location where it's always copied to.  This allows filesystems that don't
implement it to leave a NULL in it, and doesn't force GRUB to process it
every time (saving time when loading filesystems where UUID isn't going to
be used).

Then search.mod could simply do:

  if (fs->get_uuid)
    my_uuid = fs->get_uuid ();

would that be enough?

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)