grub-devel

Re: Question about menu.lst

From: Lubomir Rintel
Subject: Re: Question about menu.lst
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 14:42:00 +0200

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 14:10 +0200, giggz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry If it isn't the right place to post...I don't find a grub users
> list...
>
> I have several kernel on my laptop. Most of them are compiled by myself.
> But to compare the performance I have an official debian kernel (486).
> The problem is that official debian kernels are compiled with ide (so
> hd* device) and my personal jkernel with PATA support (so sd* device).
> So the root= option is not the same.
>
> I would like to define a regle to set root=/dev/hda1 for all the *-486
> kernels through the  # kopt_*_486=root=/dev/hda1 ro option. But I want
> to keep the general regle : # kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro
> Is there a way to do that ?

Actually, you might want to use UUID or LABEL of the file system instead
of device file name.

You can get or set UUID or label with tune2fs like this:

# tune2fs -l /dev/sda1          (get information)
# tune2fs -L root-fs /dev/sda1  (set label)

And then set a kernel root parameter as follows:

root=LABEL=my-root-fs

Hope that helps.

--
Lubomir Rintel (Was: Kundrak)