grub-devel

Re: grub2: symlink on reiserfs: error: file not found

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub2: symlink on reiserfs: error: file not found
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:46:48 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:34:38PM +0200, Christian Meyer wrote:
> Bean <address@hidden> schrieb am 26.02.2008 06:37:47:
>
> > Ok, i found the bug, symbol link name in reiserfs is not null-ended,
> > so we need to add 0 at the end of string:
>
> I am no programmer, so I had to wait for this:
> Robert Millan closed the bug at Debian bug tracking system:
> but I cannot confirm that the bug is gone in Debians current (sid) version:
> 1.96+20080413-1
>
> The standard-install of the mentioned version links directly to kernel and
> ramdisk, so it works.
> But if you change grub.cfg to load kernel and ramdisk via symlink the error
> still exists:
>
> menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux (4.0) (on /dev/hda3)" {
>       set root=(hd0,3)
>       linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de apm=power-off
> nomce vga=0x317 quiet noresume splash
>       initrd /initrd.img
> }
>
> results in:
> error: you must load the kernel first
>
> typing the commands manually at grub-prompt leads to
> error: file not found
> after the linux /vmlinuz ... line.
>

> An interesting behavior of the older version (before February 25, 2008) seems
> to be gone:
> (I discovered it after you committed your changes so I thought it is useless)
> If you waited for the boot-countdown the symlinks worked as expected
> (system-boot), but
> if you selected the same line manually (e.g. by just pressing enter) leads to
> error: you must load the kernel first
>
> Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Please provide a filesystem image where we can reproduce this

--
Robert Millan

"The technological evasion of the license is as unacceptable as the
 legal evasion of the license [...].  That's the provision in section
 1 regarding keys. [...]  We say one thing: when you sell somebody a
 home... give him the keys"  -- Eben Moglen on GPLv3