grub-devel

Re: TPM support with SATA drives

From: Laurent Dufréchou
Subject: Re: TPM support with SATA drives
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:07:12 +0200

Yeah I see what you mean., and I agree a lot. I got a TPM chip in my computer that I could use to encrypt my hard dsk but I will never use it as I don't have access to all the thing.
In fact what i'm askig is for a special use case.
My use case is that I provide an embedded computer running linux operating system, and I want to be sure that the all system that I can't remotly manage isn't corrupted to its task.
In this case I'm in the case of the "Hostile party Bad Guy wanting to measure you" ;).
I think TPM chip can only be used for that. Not for like they claim to give to classical user a trusted computer.
I want to use it to trust MY computer used by another guy (that can be an attacker). (industry market, not consumer one)
I think in this use case it is ehicaly correct as I try to measure and ensure my system is not corrupted. (Must be the only case where TPM chip are good at :) )

Laurent

2008/4/18, Robert Millan <address@hidden>:
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:06:19AM +0200, Laurent Dufréchou wrote:

> Now, I've just discovered Grub2.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some patch to add support for TPM chip and
> measurement of files on system, thus on sata drive.

Just in case my last message was a bit too confusing, measurement is something
that I think would be nice to have.  It just happens that we don't need a TPM
at all to implement it (TPM is not about measuring but _being_ measured, and
by an hostile party).

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)