grub-devel

Re: Some GRUB ideas

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Some GRUB ideas
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:29:21 -0700

komputes wrote:
Something like that would be nice. Or at least a passing mention in menu.lst that Grub starts counting from 0 not 1 in its drive/partition designations--i.e. (hd0,1) = /dev/sda2, etc. That confuses a lot of newcommers to linux, who would appreciate a command that will help them select or at least see how to correctly transport hard disk "locations" from a shell to a menu.lst. I just thought I would bring this to the attention of GRUB developers to see if this can be included in an upcoming version/update.
I like your idea -- that would have come in very handy for me many times before.

Note that in GRUB 2, partition numbering has been changed to begin at 1.
See: http://grub.enbug.org/grub.cfg

Colin