grub-devel

Re: Some GRUB ideas

From: komputes
Subject: Re: Some GRUB ideas
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:15:11 -0400

Hi Robert,

I had a few more ideas for GRUB that may be useful.

A way for the user to know which hard drives/partitions are available to the computer in a "(hd0,0)" format which can then be used in a menu.lst file. This would greatly save time and confusion in the grub configuration process. This would be like a devices.map, but way more useful. I would imagine it would look like this:

$ grub --pitty-da-foo #this command doesn't exist (...yet)
Checking disks...

                                Mem  Used
(hd0)      /dev/sda
          (hd0,0)   /dev/sda1  50GB  25%
          (hd0,1)   /dev/sda2  50GB  25%

(hd1)   /dev/sdb
          (hd1,0)   /dev/sdb1  50GB  25%
          (hd1,1)   /dev/sdb2  50GB  25%

Something like that would be nice. Or at least a passing mention in menu.lst that Grub starts counting from 0 not 1 in its drive/partition designations--i.e. (hd0,1) = /dev/sda2, etc. That confuses a lot of newcommers to linux, who would appreciate a command that will help them select or at least see how to correctly transport hard disk "locations" from a shell to a menu.lst. I just thought I would bring this to the attention of GRUB developers to see if this can be included in an upcoming version/update.

-k

Robert Millan wrote:
Hi there,

I'm one of the folks volunteering as mentors for this year's GRUB GSoC
participation.  Okuji asked us to provide ideas and notify this list about
them.

Our full list of ideas is hosted at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html

The following have been added as new ideas for this year:

  - USB support (UHCI + keyboard/storage drivers)
  - ATA (finish pATA driver + SATA / AHCI)
  - Accessing encrypted partitions (LUKS)
  - Localisation infrastructure

More details about them are available at the URL above.