grub-devel

Re: Start with Driver Development

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Start with Driver Development
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:21:52 +0300

mohammed mt wrote:
Hi
I have just started with driver development in linux?
Any one suggest me a better resource, please...
I got something in googling...any official gnu sites there to promote driver development? Is it helpful the driver development kit WinDriver etc, I got when googling, when doing with USB?

google: linux device driver

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

Which is OK book, but there are other books that I think fits better... but hey... you can get official copy for free as PDF's... thou I prefer the book my self.

Now if we think about grub, Linux driver development books do not help a bit, as we cannot use code from Linux in GRUB 2 development. Eg. it's licensing model does not fit for usage in GRUB 2.

About Jungo's WinDriver... depends on what you want to do with it... if you want to develop custom driver to be ran on multiple systems (win, wince, linux) then it may be useful, but again for GRUB 2 it does not help a thing.

For USB development there exists several good books, try Amazon... You may want to also check out USB specs, host controller specs and so on...