grub-devel

Multiboot Specification

From: Vegard Nossum
Subject: Multiboot Specification
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:01:00 +0100

Hello,

I have a question/comment regarding the Multiboot Specification. Since
loaders need to read/load an object file anyway, wouldn't it be more
appropriate to look for the multiboot header by looking up either a
symbol name or a section name, rather than searching for a magic
number within the first 8K bytes of the image?

This shouldn't be very difficult to implement for loaders, it would
make loading safer (more reliable), and it would remove an otherwise
artificial limitation. (It wouldn't have to be a requirement, but it
could be a supplement to the magic number solution.)

How would I proceed to suggest this change? :-)

Kind regards,
Vegard Nossum

PS: It wasn't entirely clear who is responsible for the specification.
If I hit the wrong address, please disregard this message :-)