grub-devel

Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Starting grub 2 from grub legacy?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:14:04 +0800

On Feb 19, 2008 2:25 PM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Quoting George Lengel <address@hidden>:
>
> >> What should be the correct lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst to start
> >> grub 2 from grub legacy?
> >
> > I installed this about two weeks ago and this was the entry that was
> > added for me by the process.
> >

> > title           Grb2 chainload
> > root            (hd2,6)
> > kernel          /boot/grub/core.img
> > boot
> > savedefault
>
> Yes, I installed both GRUB 1 and GRUB 2, and loading core.img from
> GRUB 1 is working fine.  But GRUB 2 cannot load its own core.img, and
> neither can it load stage2:
>
> grub> multiboot /boot/grub/core.img
> error: unknown ELF class

That's because core.img is a.out format multiboot kernel, but the
current multiboot loader can only handle elf format. My bsd patch add
a.out support for multiboot. with that, you can load core.img
successfully.

> grub> multiboot /boot/grub/stage2
> alloc magic is broken at 0x93c50
> Aborted. Press any key to exit.

stage2 is not multiboot format, actually, it's not of any format. The
alloc magic broken is caused by a bug in the multiboot loader, my bsd
also fit this, it will print the error message: "currently only ELF is
supported"

however, it's still possible to load GRUB Legacy with my grubutil
package. It contain several header file which you can use to load
various boot loader from any loader that support linux kernel. For
example, the header for grub legacy is ldgrub.bin, you can use it like
this:

linux ldgrub.bin
initrd stage2

--