grub-devel

Re: multiboot2 vs. grub2 implementation

From: walt
Subject: Re: multiboot2 vs. grub2 implementation
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:23:44 -0800

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 14:23 -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:11:23AM -0800, walt wrote:
> > address@hidden wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> In the course of actually trying to use the MultibootDraft, I've
> >> discovered
> >> some places where the draft and the grub2 implementation differ...
> >
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > Are you using grub2/cvs with or without Bean's latest multiboot patch?
>
> I tend not to be aware of these things.  I'm using stock sources.
>
> > It still hasn't been committed, and I was about to ask about it anyway.
> > Without that patch, multiboot doesn't work.
>
> Hmm.

Agreed :o)  Bean's patch had some whitespace corruption anyway, so here
it is again, diffed against today's latest cvs grub2:

this is the patch, problems found:

1, the mbi structure is not initialized to all zeros, this means some
important member, like mods_count, will contain trash.
2, the entry point in the header is virtual address, we need to
translate it to physical address.

        * loader/i386/pc/multiboot.c (grub_multiboot_load_elf32): Get
physical
        address of entry.
        (grub_multiboot_load_elf64): Likewise.
        (grub_multiboot): Initialize mbi structure.