grub-devel

Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices

From: Sam Morris
Subject: Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 00:49:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:35:19 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:32:46AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
>>
>> Version 1.96+20080203-1 behaves differently; I am simply dropped to the
>> rescue shell, and I can't load any modules (because root is set to
>> (hd1,2) which does not show up when I run 'ls'). I guessed that this is
>> because 'pc' is not in the list of modules included when grub-install
>> creates core.img.
>
> Did you make sure 'pc' is loaded before 'raid' ?  This was required, at
> least for LVM.

Yes, the exact command I ran was: 'grub-mkimage --output=/boot/grub/
core.img --prefix=/boot/grub ext2 pc biosdisk raid _chain'.

>> If I add 'pc' to core.img then things are much healthier: I am still
>> dropped into the rescue shell, but I can load the 'normal' module,
>> issue the 'normal' command and then I get the (pretty!) menu and am
>> able to boot normally. I'm still not sure why I'm dropped into the
>> rescue shell in the first place, however. There's a flash of text
>> before the prompt appears, but the screen is cleared much to fast to
>> read any of it.
>
> Please can you take a picture of what you see right after the text is
> cleared?

Ok, I discovered that I can use the Pause key to read what's on the
screen. Unfortunately, it's not very useful... it's just the text printed
by grub (legacy) as it loads the core.img file!

 Booting 'Chainload into GRUB 2'
 root (hd1,1)
  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
 kernel /boot/grub/core.img
   [Multiboot-kludge, loadaddr=0x100000, text-and-data=0x7676, bss=0x0,
entry=0x1002903]
 savedefault

Then the screen blanks, and the next thing printed is:

 Welcome to GRUB!

 Entering into rescue mode...
 grub rescue>

Whereupon I can enter 'insmod normal' and then 'normal' to get to the
regular boot menu.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078