grub-devel

Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:35:19 +0100

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:32:46AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:

> Version 1.96+20080203-1 behaves differently; I am simply dropped to the
> rescue shell, and I can't load any modules (because root is set to
> (hd1,2) which does not show up when I run 'ls'). I guessed that this is
> because 'pc' is not in the list of modules included when grub-install
> creates core.img.

Did you make sure 'pc' is loaded before 'raid' ?  This was required, at least
for LVM.

> If I add 'pc' to core.img then things are much healthier: I am still
> dropped into the rescue shell, but I can load the 'normal' module, issue
> the 'normal' command and then I get the (pretty!) menu and am able to
> boot normally. I'm still not sure why I'm dropped into the rescue shell
> in the first place, however. There's a flash of text before the prompt
> appears, but the screen is cleared much to fast to read any of it.

Please can you take a picture of what you see right after the text is
cleared?

> ISTR that when I tried Jeroen Dekkers' patch before, I was no longer
> booted into the rescue shell; but I can't remember (and I don't
> understand why, if I was kicked into the rescue shell becuase grub tried
> to read past the 'end' of my disk, why I can immediatly issue the
> 'normal' command to go to the menu and have everything working).

Sounds strange, yes.  I suggest we try to fix the clearing error that
prevents you from reading that text, then see if that helps us make progress.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)