grub-devel

Re: Exploring Grub Wifi/Bluetooth Bootup

From: Franklin PIAT
Subject: Re: Exploring Grub Wifi/Bluetooth Bootup
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:05:43 +0100

Hello,

Even though I'm not a grub developer, here are some clues :

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 01:15 +0530, gopi wrote:
> We have some basic questions,
> a. Can be design bluetooth booting, on the lines of boot using
> ethernet?
To actually "boot from" something, you are really limited to what the
computer firmware (BIOS) can do.
I don't know any computer (or specification) that allow netbooting over
wireless NICs. The first and most obvious reason is that you want a
secure connection.... that has to be configured (WEP, WPA...).
You could have a look at Intel's AMT management engine, but I don't
think it includes this feature (not in version 3.0, at least).

Still, you could have an embedded compact flash disk (or SSD), with some
minimalist stuffs to setup the wireless devices. You may have some luck
with LTSP or similar project.

Franklin