grub-devel

Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:58:31 -0500

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 08:34 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 01:11:18PM +0100, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> >
> > It is already there. GRUB 2 already supports setting a root based on a
> > filesystem label or a path.

Indeed!  That's much easier that LVM :-)

> What is the syntax? How do I set it up? Are there example grub2 setups?

grub> help search
Usage: search [-f|-l|-s] NAME
Search devices by a file or a filesystem label. If --set is specified,
the first device found is set to a variable. If no variable name is
specified, "root" is used.

-f, --file                search devices by a file (default)
-l, --label               search devices by a filesystem label
-s, --set=VAR             set a variable to the first device found
-h, --help                display this help and exit
-u, --usage               display the usage of this command and exit
grub>

That means, you can use unique labels like "usbstick-fedora8" and then
use:

search -f usbstick-fedora8
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-f8
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.24-f8.img