grub-devel

root seems to be incorrectly set after install

From: George Lengel
Subject: root seems to be incorrectly set after install
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:41:06 -0500

Hello,

I have a problem with my grub2 installation. I am using the latest Debian package (1.95+20080128-1)and I could properly boot using the chainloader method suggested during the initial installation (grub-legacy still in MBR and it calls grub2), but when I decided to place grub2 in the MBR, it will not work.

I have a bit of a complicated disk setup. My hd0 is the BIOS boot disk, but /boot/grub resides on (hd2,7). I also have partitions spread all around my three drives with various OSs that I have not cleaned up (OS/2, DRDOS). I try to put grub2 in the MBR using grub-install (hd0) and then also try grub-setup directly and the setup almost works.

When I reboot I get thrown into rescue mode and typing set shows
grub>prefix= (hd0,7)/boot/grub
grub>root=hd0,7

If I manually set root to (hd2,7) and prefix to (hd2,7)/boot/grub I can insmod normal and then running normal proceeds perfectly. It makes no sense to me why it is prepending hd0 instead of hd2. I have searched all over for a solution and the closest I came was someone a few months ago posted a similar problem. It was suggested to delete system.map and regenerate it, but this did not help.

Here is my device.map which makes sense to me
(fd0)    /dev/fd0
(hd0)    /dev/sda
(hd1)    /dev/sdb
(hd2)    /dev/sdc

and here is the output of grub-setup when I manually run it trying to get the proper file in the MBR. It clearly understands the root should be hd(2,7), but when it boots it seems to change it to hd(0,7).
ta-koro:/boot/grub# grub-setup --verbose  '(hd0)'
grub-setup: info: prefix = /boot/grub
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to /dev/mapper
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to /dev
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to mapper
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to bus
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to usb
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to 001
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to 002
grub-setup: info: changing current directory to snd
grub-setup: info: /dev/sdc7 starts from 5156928
grub-setup: info: opening the device hd2
grub-setup: info: the size of hd2 is 35566480
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sdc'
grub-setup: info: DOS partition 1 starts from 18040995
grub-setup: info: DOS partition 2 starts from 26619705
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sdc'
grub-setup: info: DOS partition 4 starts from 126
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sdc'
grub-setup: info: DOS partition 5 starts from 1783278
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sdc'
grub-setup: info: DOS partition 6 starts from 5156928
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: reading /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/boot.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: info: reading /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: info: getting the size of /boot/grub/core.img
grub-setup: info: the size of hd2 is 35566480
grub-setup: info: the size of hd0 is 17836668
grub-setup: info: setting the root device to `hd2,7'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: will embed the core image into after the MBR
grub-setup: info: dos partition is 6, bsd partition is -1, prefix is /boot/grub
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'
grub-setup: info: opening the device `/dev/sda'

Does anybody have an idea what is wrong here? I would appreciate any advice and help.