grub-devel

Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:14:51 -0500

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 12:44 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
> > One possible approach would be to use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) -
> > it's supported by grub2.  You could install grub on a small boot
> > partition and allocate the rest to as an LVM partition, that would be
> > split into volumes.  Then you could refer to the volumes by name.
> >

> This seems a long way to drag the cat around the barn. Or this
> would be like kicking dead whales down the beach. One should
> not have to invoke the complexity of LVN just so one can specify
> partitions.

OK, let's fix GRUB.

As for the expansion issue, I think I see how to fix it.
grub_script_arg_add() should append expanded variables to the last
argument, rather than allocate a new argument, unless the new argument
is separated by spaces from the previous one.

GRUB_SCRIPT_ARG_TYPE_STR and GRUB_SCRIPT_ARG_TYPE_VAR are "write only".
I think we should discard grub_script_arg_type_t or use it to keep track
of spaces in the input.

As for the "boot_device", it could be set in the same place as "root",
namely in grub_set_root_dev() in kern/main.c.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin