grub-devel

Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:59:39 -0600

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:50:37PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 22:34 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
>
> > Ok, but how do I say the same device as I am in now, but the
> > 3rd partiton, rather than the first.
> >
> > How do I say (hdX,3) where X in the device I am in now? And
> > X may vary at boot time depending on the number of hard disks
> > on the target system?
>
> I wish I knew the answer.  There is some undocumented scripting
> functionality, but it doesn't appear to be capable of that yet.  Perhaps
> there should be a "boot_device" variable for that purpose.

As usb devices become more used this will be an important problem.

For example, I want to create a usb flash drive for use in an
installfest, for people with no CD or floppy.

Partition 1 will have the kernel and initrd for the Fedora installation
process.

Partition 2 will have the same for Opensuse.

Partiton 3 the same for Mandriva.

Partiton 4 ubuntu.

How do I write a menu.lst to boot these different kernels with
different parameters, and partitions? I do not know which device the
usbstick will be at boot time, because the target systems have
different number of hard disks.

As matters now stand, there is no way to do it, and you seem to be
telling me the problem is not fixed with grub2!

It is easy to think of many analogous problems, in the comercial world.

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
address@hidden                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J