grub-devel

Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.

From: Paul Elliott
Subject: Re: Does grub2 solve this problem I am having with grub1? RE: usbsticks.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:34:02 -0600

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:58:01AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:08 -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
>
> > Is there a solution for this in grub2? That is in writting
> > the equivalent of menu.lst for grub2, is there a way to
> > specify "the device that my menu.lst and my stage files
> > are on" without knowing in advance where that will be?
> >
> > If so, how would one do this in grub2?
>
> I think that device will be in the root variable.  You'll just need to
> use paths without the device name, e.g.
>
> linux /boot/vmlinuz
> initrd /boot/initrd.img

Ok, but how do I say the same device as I am in now, but the
3rd partiton, rather than the first.

How do I say (hdX,3) where X in the device I am in now? And
X may vary at boot time depending on the number of hard disks
on the target system?

--
Paul Elliott                       1(512)837-1096
address@hidden                    PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J